Khalsa Dharmak Sabha is a Sikh temple located at 18 Niven Road, Singapore 228365. It has a membership of almost 2000 and has a registered charity status.
A short history of Khalsa Dharmak Sabha
Khalsa Dharmak Sabha was established in June 1923. It was first called Khalsa Dharmak Club. It was registered on 17 January 1924, and functioned at 85, Kampong Bahru Road. In April 1924 it was renamed Khalsa Dharmak Sabha and moved to 126, Cecil Street where the first Parkash of Sri Guru Granth Sahib was held. Later Khalsa Dharmak Sabha moved to a site in Handy Road (near the Cathay Building site).
The present site at Niven Road was purchased in June 1936 for the sum of $16000. The building was renovated after the Second World War and subsequently enlarged in 1961.
The old building at Niven Road was demolished in 1994 and the present building completed and re-opened on 9 August, 1996 (see images below - click to enlarge).
The anniversary of the new building, which falls on Singapore's National Day, is celebrated with Akhand Paath prayers.
When the Japanese attacked Singapore in December 1941, many Sikhs took shelter in the Sabha, where their needs were taken care of.
From 1946 to 1947 A Punjabi school functioned in the Sabha.
From 1948 to 1954, the Sikh Community established the Khalsa English School (open to all races) on the ground floor of the Sabha's premises. It had seven classrooms. A Punjabi School for girls was also established in Sri Guru Singh Sabha at 90 Wilkie Road.